Elías de Andrés-Martos, Mountain Guide, RMI Expeditions
Elías grew up in the foothills of the "Sierra de Guadarrma" mountains of Spain. Astonished by the offerings of the mountains, Elías rejected a well-established family business of three generations, the expectation to satisfy traiditional obligations, and the comforts of a predictable life for the sole purpose of finding himself (and whatever is "up there") in the mountains. As a young athlete (four years in the Spanish top 8 in the track event of 400m hurdles) he understood the concept of "disciplined training" as a means for overcoming difficulties and pursuing objectives.
Today, Elías keeps finding himself at home on mountains from the Rockies to the Himalayas or from Alaska to the Andes. He leads our Peru, Shishapangma and ice climbing programs, amongst many other international and domestic climbs. Having combined a teaching career with guiding, he enjoys the most when teaching new skills to our climbers all over the globe.
- Mount Rainier: 70+ summits via 8 routes (including Liberty Ridge and winter ascents)
- Pacific Northwest: Baker, Forbidden, Shuksan, Sahale and Olympus
- Himalaya: Shishapangma Central (26,290') without oxygen. One expedition of Dhaulagiri.
- Alaska: 4 expeditions of Mount McKinley. Alpine climbs in The Ruth and LIttle Switzerland.
- Peru: Urus, Ishinca, Tacllaraju, Copa, Alpamayo (100% client success)
- Argentina: Aconcagua, Plata, Rincon
- Argentina/Chile: Patagonian Ice Fields Traverse
- Mexico: Orizaba and Ixta
- Europe: ascents in the Alps and the Pyrenees
- Colorado Rockies: all 54 Fourteeners and multiple other peaks and rock climbs
- Countless ice climbs up to WI6 in Colorado, Alaska, New Hampshire, and Canada
- Extensive worldwide trekking: Everest and Annapurna Basecamps, Magdi Khola HImal, Macchu Picchu, Patagonia (Torres del Paine and Ice Fields), Alaskan wilderness, Pyrenees, European Peaks National Park, and Guatemala
- Wilderness First Responder
- A.I.A.R.E. Avalanche Level II
- A.M.G.A. Alpine Guide Course
- A.M.G.A. Ice Instructor Course
- A.M.G.A. Rock Instructor Course
- Mountaineering Instructor (FEDME-Spain)
- NASAR Search and Rescue SARTECH III
- Leave No Trace Trainer
Back to Guide List